The 5:2 Diet

There's a lot of fuss about the 5:2 diet as shown on the Horizon programme

There are two reasons why I do not trust this programme.

1. The content:

" I decided I couldn't manage ADF, it was just too impractical. Instead I did an easier version, the so-called 5:2 diet. As the name implies you eat normally 5 days a week, then two days a week you eat 500 calories if you are a woman, or 600 calories, if you are a man.
There are no firm rules because so far there have been few proper human trials. I found that I could get through my fast days best if I had a light breakfast (scrambled eggs, thin slice of ham, lots of black tea, adding up to about 300 calories), lots of water and herbal tea during the day, then a light dinner (grilled fish with lots of vegetables) at night. On my feed days I ate what I normally do and felt no need to gorge. I stuck to this diet for 5 weeks, during which time I lost nearly a stone and my blood markers, like IGF-1, glucose and cholesterol, improved. If I can sustain that, it will greatly reduce my risk of contracting age-related diseases like cancer and diabetes"

So, 10 days on a calorie deficit of 2000 = 20,000 calories. This equals about EIGHT pounds ... NOT anywhere near a stone.

2. The presenter.

This guy makes a living by looking at ways to make yourself healthier. Most of the details in the programme he had covered in 2009 a few years ago so he just repeated stuff and added in IGF-1.You have ONE MONTH LEFT  to watch the programme. Another problem is there's no mention of any strength training exercises or resistance based exercises etc. In effect he just says 'eat less' on certain days.

He did do a programme about exercise which was interesting (but not new) and of course he said that certain types of exercise suit certain types of people - and the genetic test he took is not available to everyone so that's a fat lot of good! This could be why the Brad Pilon Elimination approach to exercise (see this blog) is so good for you) and the Dax Moy elimination diet (see this blog) is also so good.


BOTH OF THESE ARE FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment